Hi! We are Dominio de Punctum. Do you want to know a little bit more about us? Let’s begin!
We are a family of growers and after eight generations, in 2005, we agreed to found Dominio the Punctum as you know it today: an organic and biodynamic estate and winery. We wanted to achieve our dream of producing quality organic and biodynamic wines in our family’s old vineyards.
Nowadays we have 200 hectares of vineyards in Las Pedroñeras, Cuenca, North-East of Castilla La Mancha. Sit at an altitude of 750 metres above sea level with a continental climate and sandy loamy soil, rich in limestone, making it an ideal place to grow grapes naturally.
Our belief is that it is possible to deliver great and elegant wines without harming the environment. Our wines are completely chemical free and we are certified as an organic winery, which means that we take care of our vines and the environment at the same time. How?
- We perform green harvest at the beginning of the season to help guide the plants without upsetting their natural growth and balance.
- We use green manure to cultivate strong vines and to increase microorganisms in the vineyard.
- Pesticides, herbicides and synthetic fertilisers are banned from our vineyard.
- The harvest is an important matter so we perform it at night when the temperatures are lower and immediately afterwards, we initiate the cold maceration at 7ºC before fermentation.
- Fermentation is carried out in temperature-controlled tanks maintaining the temperature between 14ºC-16ºC for white and rosé wines and 20ºC-22ºC for red wines.
- Natural resources are very important so we installed a little purification system in order to be able to reuse waste and rain water in our vineyard.
- Four Challenge Millesime Bio gold medals.
- Six Challenge Millesime Bio silver medals.
- Two Mundus Vini silver medals.
- Six Challenge Millesime Bio bronze medals.
So we don’t use any chemical products. Do you need more? Our process is animal-friendly, we don’t use animal by-products in any process (to filter/refine for example), you can consider our wines vegan-friendly.
Also, we make biodynamic wines, a certified biodynamic vineyard often meets or exceeds the standards and regulations for organic-certified farming. Our goal is to create a long-term flourishing ecosystem by honouring biodiversity. Fundamental to this belief is the idea that diversity in farming creates a healthier, more sustainable growing environment over time.
In Dominio de Punctum we turn our estate grown grapes into world class organic and biodynamic wines according to the tradition handed over for centuries in Spain and by the modern means of a sustainable agriculture and winemaking.
Our wines’ essence is at the vineyards and, because of that, they express the terroir itself. Our efforts have been compensated by multiple international awards, in 2016 we obtained 13 awards. So far, in 2017 we have obtained:
Our varietals include: Tempranillo, Cabernet Sauvignon, Graciano, Petit Verdot, Grenache, Bobal, Syrah, Merlot, Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Verdejo and Viura.
Currently, our wines are available in more than 25 countries around the world that value and appreciate organic food and a green lifestyle.